Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Presley's first letter

Dear Presley, You are 3 months old and it's abouttime I wrote your birth story! Starting at about 30 weeks, my blood pressure had been rising. When I went to the Dr at 36 weeks, they said for me to come back on Wednesday. I would be 37 weeks exactly, and they wanted to induce if my blood pressure was still high. That would make me full term and would ensure you were ready to come into the world! Wednesday came, the blood pressure was still up, and out your were coming! We arrived at the hospital at 6:30 am that morning, but had to wait in triage for a room until 10:30! As soon as we got into the room, the nurse started pitocin. Many many hours and many many increases in the pitocin later, I was finally starting to feel strong contractions! After spending all day laboring, we were all really anxious to meet you! Everyone expected you to come by lunch time, but you had other plans. I went to the bathroom and noticed a lot of bright red blood. Kinda freaked me out, but the nurse assured me that it wasn't a problem. I decided to call for the epidural, and when I did, they informed me that it would be a while, because the only anesthesiologist was just getting started in another room. Cue PANIC! I was really starting to hurt, and got very scared about the pain that was coming on full force. By the time the Dr came in to give me the epidural, I was crying and having contractions that were so intense and long; only 7 seconds passed between each one. It took forever (at least in my mind), for the epidural, and had to be given an extra dose, but finally was given some relief! It was at this time that the nurse and OB dr came in and put me on high flow oxygen and started rotating me from side to side. Apparently you were having some decels in your heart rate, and weren't recovering as quickly as they would've liked. The talks of a cesarean section were now on the horizon. My cervix was checked and found to be at 5cm. They then broke my water and stood around watching the monitor to see how you would react. When my contractions picked up, and I said I felt pressure (about 5 minutes after she broke my water), I was checked again and found to be a 91/2!! It was go time! You were coming, baby girl! Suddenly the room became a mad house curtains were drawn equipment was brought in, people were bustling in and out, and I was getting prepared to push! After another examination, the OB noticed you were sunny side up, or facing toward the ceiling. This is not good at all. It makes pushing much harder, and is just not ideal for childbirth. She proceeded to turn you over 4 times all together and I could feel her hitting my bones each time! Luckily the epidural kept it from hurting too much. The nurse grabbed a sheet for me to pull against, and 5 pushes later you were here!! I couldn't believe after spending all day in bed trying to will you out, that after just 5 pushes, you were here! Instead of putting you on my chest, as I would've hoped, they wisked you away to the baby nurse because you had your cord around your neck, and were too limp for their liking. Even after that, you still scored a 9/9 on your apgars..guess you perked up really quickly! You were born at 9:48pm, weighing 5 pounds, 9 ounces, and were 19.5 inches long! Everyone got to see you before I did..here are some pictures of daddy bringing you to me for the first time!
Well, weren't you just perfect?! I could not believe all of our waiting and dreaming and praying were now coming to fruition! You were here and everything was now complete. I loved you from the minute you were conceived, and would've died for you the minute I saw your sweet face. Turns out, the bright red blood was from my placenta tearing away from the uterus. It's known as placental abruption, and it's very serious and can be life threatening. Luckily, I was in the hospital when it happened, and everything went smoothly. The doctors took very good care of both of us! Happy Birth Day to my beautiful girl! Mommy loves you!

No comments:

Post a Comment